Problem Management – Team Leader
Our client provides real-time data, news, and analytics to financial institutions all over the world, with their systems making an immediate impact on the global markets. Engineers dedicate their time to advancing them and ensuring their critical reliability, but on occasion things naturally fall down. That is where the Engineering Problem Management team comes in.
Once an incident has been mitigated, the focus shifts to ‘what happened’ and the Problem Management team will facilitate a formal, blameless post-mortem meeting to discuss the facts – the timeline of the incident; identification of problem statements which triggered, contributed to or prolonged the incident; and appropriate remediation items helping the engineering teams to focus on building stable and resilient systems.
The team are highly-visible, engaging with stakeholders across all aspects of the business in the wake of significant outages. It is critical that the team capture the right level of detail to help support stability and look for trends and opportunities where these outages occur to continuously add value to engineering.
Our client seeks an accomplished people manager, with experience of establishing or restructuring Problem Management to join their expanding team and help shape the direction and future of the group.
- Help set strategy for Problem Management initiatives
- Identify trends through Incidents from both causes and implicated systems
- Mentor and develop a team of Problem Managers
- Create a continuous improvement plan for developing workflows in Problem Management
- Utilise proactive problem management in a complex organisation and environment and help drive stability initiatives across the firm
- Provide feedback into the incident management team and process
- Ensure knowledge sharing from incidents exists between Incident Management, Problem Management, and other key operational groups
- Market and promote the work of the team
- Cultivate a diverse network of stakeholders to help influence change in policies and behaviours
- Have oversight of all post-mortems conducted by the team
- Be tenacious and invested - have a good understanding of what initiatives are going on across the department and how IM and PM can support or leverage them.
Technical Experience and Qualifications Required:
- Experience leading and managing both proactive and reactive problem investigations via root cause analysis
- Experience gaining buy-in from senior stakeholders in proactive problem activities and findings
- Experience in data analytics and incident reporting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively tailor communication of technical issues to various audiences including management presentations and SRE talks
- Innovation and drive – someone who is happy to challenge the status quo and collaborate on processes within the team
- A self-starter who is assertive but diplomatic with the ability to prioritize workload and to perform in a high-pressure environment
- Strong collaboration skills and an interest in developing a strong network
- Solid technical background with the ability and aptitude to understand new technologies and application stacks
- Good organisation skills and excel at multitasking with the ability to pivot as the political priorities change
- Basic understanding of industry standard technologies and infrastructure such as: networking, cloud storage, middleware, databases and virtual infrastructure
- ITIL Service Support qualifications
- Familiarity with, or knowledge of Bloomberg Terminal
Apply for this role
All fields marked with * are required.